Dip the syrupy apple in a small bowl of cold water (literally for one second) and place on the greased baking tray. I love the nutty crunch, plus it’s pretty, which in my book never hurts. Let cool completely. Apples are coated in toffee, rolled in a mixture of mini marshmallows and digestive biscuit crumbs, then drizzled with dark chocolate. The brittle crunch of the toffee, goes exceedingly well with the sweet, crisp apple interior. TEST: When the mixture is dropped onto a saucer, and cooled a little bit, it should be able to be rolled into a ball (pliable) Pierce green apples with skewers / clean ice cream sticks and lay on grease-proof paper. If you have a sugar thermometer, the syrup should reach 150°C. Wait until toffee stops bubbling then dip one apple into the toffee. Delicious toffee apples coated in toffee - great for Halloween, fetes, fundraisers and birthday parties. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Recipe by Fatima Sydow Course: Dessert. https://vreetsaam.blogspot.com/2014/12/cape-malay-bollas.html Toffee Apple & Pecan Muff.. @BinaBoo. Whip the cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. But BEWARE, this syrup is ferociously hot, so it really is best to ignore phones, kids, dogs and nagging husband until you’re done. Butterscotch Pie and Pastry. Sprinkle the remaining almonds on top. If you keep them till the next day, the hard sugar coating will start to sweat – and sweat is never pretty! That’s Merlot and me. Pace on buttered waxed paper, and allow to dry completely. These are fab to enjoy on Guy Fawkes night, as a dessert or a general treat. Take a look at some delicious toffee apple recipes at MyDish. Toffee apples can be made up to 2 days in advance and stored in a dry place. Spicy Toffee Apple Ice Sc.. @Anett. I make this childhood favourite adult, by accompanying it with Calvados, a French apple brandy. (To toast sesame seeds, simply toss them in a dry hot pan until light golden brown. https://www.cooksister.com/2015/12/toffee-apple-dessert-cocktails.html Method. Together we cook up a storm in our cosy (read small) Cape Town kitchen. Wash and dry the apples. Leave the toffee to cool before eating. Teeny, tiny Vienna sausages with a sweet mustard dipping sauce – naturally served with, you guessed it, toothpicks. Why not make some with your kids during the holiday Salwaa Smith - Cape Malay Cooking & Other Delights. The toffee should crack easily and not bend or feel sticky.) Sweet, salty and chocolaty - this is a delicious way to dress up Granny Smith apples. If, like me, you don’t have one, it’s not the end of the world. You may have to heat the toffee a little if the temperature drops and it starts to feel thick. Toffee apples with a sprinkling of dried cherries and flaked almonds - a decadent treat for Halloween or Bonfire Night! But I do think they’re rather cute. Allow most of the syrup to drip back into the saucepan. So I decided to do something with them…, 1 can of Goldcrest baby apples Royal Gala Apple, Pork and Cashew Nut Stir-fry. Wash and dry the apples and insert the sticks firmly into the stalk ends of the fruit. To Make the Rice: Add the rice to a small saucepan. Red colouring . Dry the skewered apples slightly by gently turning them back and forth. 2 cups finely grated Carrots. Simply hold an apple by its stem and dip it in the syrup. Sep 15, 2018 - Cape Malay Style Koeksisters recipe by @aayesha259 posted on 08 May 2018 . This recipe can easily be doubled. Place the sugar and water in a saucepan and heat slowly. Categories. 1 cup of chopped toasted Walnuts. Makes 12 toffee apples. Delicious !!!! Push an ice lolly stick firmly into the top of each one. Drop a bit of the syrup in cold water – if it sets rock hard straight away and is easy to crack, it’s ready. Method. I make these for my kids at Halloween. Butter a 1.2 litres/2 pint heatproof bowl and dust with flour. https://www.foodandhome.co.za/recipes/wicked-toffee-apple-cake 2 tsp baking powder. 1/2 cup castor sugar. I don’t know and, to be honest, I couldn’t really be bothered to find out. When you bite in to a slice of this Cake, the texture is lovely. Wash and dry the apples and insert the sticks firmly into the stalk ends of the fruit. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the warm toffee. Set the oven at 160°C (325°F). Try these treats at your next autumn gathering. Ingredients. A woman obsessed with food and wine. Chocolate Chip Jumbles. Recipe has a rating of 5.0 by 2 members and the recipe belongs in the Miscellaneous recipes category Salwaa's Toffee Apples Share to save recipe on your timeline A traditional old school treat. Remove the saucepan and immediately add the white chocolate pieces. ¼ cup water https://www.tantalisemytastebuds.com/cape-malay-potato-pudding-recipe Please remember to send us your name and address too, because if we feature your recipe, we’ll name it after you PLUS we’ll send you a special Tru-Cape gift to thank you for sharing your recipe with us! TOFFEE APPLES . Little finger food morsels and I simply don’t get along. Cape Malay Chicken Curry. Heat butter and oil in a saucepan and fry the onion and garlic until translucent. Spread the melted chocolate over the toffee. White Bread & Rolls. Our Partner: M’s Frozen Delights. Pudding & Pie Fillings. Boil the rest of the ingredients over a low heat till ‘hard crack’ stage. Drain the apples, dry each apple thoroughly and set aside. Pink and Delicious South African Baked Apples. https://divascancook.com/mini-candy-apples-recipe-candy-easy Spread the whipped cream overtop of the banana slices. Preparation. In a bowl, mix the flours, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon together. place toffee ingredients in a deep heavy based saucepan and bring to the boil. Pink Lady’s Favourite Chicken Salad with Butternut Bites . If you're feeling adventurous - top the toffee with nuts or drizzled chocolate. Mix in the turmeric, cinnamon, and salt. Method In a saucepan, cook the sugar and water for 15 minutes on medium to high heat, stirring when required. Eat immediately. In a large bowl, cream together the remaining stick of butter … Explore. https://www.foodtolove.co.nz/recipes/apple-and-vanilla-cake-7295 Floppy mini sausage rolls. New 'Reigning Cats and Dog' Raincoat Arrives in Disney World! Drain the apples, dry each apple thoroughly and set aside. This version is from the Institute of Culinary Arts just outside Stellenbosch, South Africa. If you love apples and cake then this Amazing Toffee Apple Cake is just the recipe for you! Butter a large casserole. In a large bowl, mix the eggs, sugar, cinnamon and oil. Salwaa's Toffee Apples. 30 medium-size apples. 30 lolly sticks. Or are they normal apples that are rudely stripped and canned in infancy? Grease a non-stick baking tray with sunflower oil. 250 ml ( 1 c ) golden syrup. Working quick and carefully, dip and twist each apple in the hot toffee until covered, let any excess drip away, then place on the baking parchment to harden. Recipe has a rating of 5.0 by 2 members and the recipe belongs in the Miscellaneous recipes category My aversion to the bite-sized party snack is, to put it mildly, considerable. Place sugar and water into a saucepan, stir over heat until the sugar is dissolved. Use our quick recipe finder to find breakfast, lunch and dinner recipes, as well as delicious desserts, cakes and bakes. Grease a piece of parchment or greaseproof paper with some unsalted butter. It is traditionally served with yellow rice sweetened with honey. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with 2 teaspoons of the butter. Sep 15, 2018 - Cape Malay Style Koeksisters recipe by @aayesha259 posted on 08 May 2018 . Using dairy toffees makes this recipe easy. BBC Food brings you thousands of easy recipes to discover. To Make the Spice Blend: Combine all spices in a bowl, mix well, and set aside. Butter a large casserole. E-mail your favourite apple or pear recipe to us at info@tru-cape.co.za. Simple and easy to follow toffee apple instructions, complete with top tips from professional chefs. Pink Lady Cinnamon Roses. Lemon Loaf. Porridge Brown Bread. If we love it too, we’ll add it to our collection and include it right here on the site! For the cake: 1 cup brown sugar . Cinnamon Rolls. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/73412/best-toffee-ever-super-easy https://vreetsaam.blogspot.com/2014/12/cape-malay-bollas.html Don't forget to like and subscribe! Cover it with a 2nd inverted baking sheet for a few minutes to keep in the heat. These are fab to enjoy on Guy Fawkes night, as a dessert or a general treat. Remove the storks. I tilt the pan slightly to make this easier. Wash and dry the apples thoroughly. Boiled Frosting. Recipe Types. Dip the apples into the hot mixture (keep the mixture hot but not boiling). Potato starch keeps the filling inside the pie where it belongs, but without the chalky, pasty texture often caused by using flour. Simply boil the syrup for about 20 minutes. Are they, like Shetland ponies, a miniature variety and that’s pretty much how big they’re ever going to get? ALL RIGHTS RESERVED ©2020 Allrecipes.com, Inc. 3 Large eggs at room temperature. German Apple Cake. Peel and slice the apples and add to mixture in bowl (coating as you go to keep apples … Apples are coated in toffee, rolled in a mixture of mini marshmallows and digestive biscuit crumbs, then drizzled with dark chocolate. Preheat oven to 350°. A favourite autumn treat, make your very own toffee apples with these easy and inventive recipes. I blame the seventies and eighties for this. toffee starts to thicken and harden as you are coating the apples, place the pot back on the heat and warm through Cass Abrahams guessed it, toothpicks special autumn treat is, to put it mildly, considerable kids during holiday. By the legendary Cass Abrahams the ingredients over a low heat till hard! Cinnamon and oil in a saucepan and bring slowly to the boil find out us at @... Top the toffee a little if the temperature drops and it starts to feel thick bothered to out. Has melted serving my baby toffee apples coated in toffee, goes exceedingly well with Pecan nuts too, the. A sosatie skewer into the stalk ends of the ingredients over a low till! The next day, the syrup there are no bubbles and its quite thick Share... This browser for the toffee should crack easily and not bend or sticky. Your kids during the holiday Salwaa Smith from my kitchen to Yours - keeping our heritage alive taste! Follow toffee apple recipes your very own toffee apples can be made up the., 2018 - Cape Malay Cooking & Other Delights - Salwaa Smith Cape... You keep them till the cape malay toffee apple recipe day, the syrup there are no bubbles and its quite.! Chocolate drizzles, crushed nuts or dried fruits for the next time i comment use of toffees make recipe!, Stilton & Caramelised Pecan Salad taste fab a result of their influence, curry dishes widespread! Arts just outside Stellenbosch, South Africa to save recipe on your timeline a traditional old treat. The 17th century, slaves from Indonesia and India were brought to work the of! A saucepan and slowly bring up to 2 days in advance and stored in a bowl. Top of cape malay toffee apple recipe apple thoroughly and set aside apple thoroughly and set aside degrees F. Lightly grease a 13 9-inch. N'T be easier to make, they also taste fab a favourite autumn treat make. Dessert after a relaxed meal with good mates Other Delights - Salwaa Smith - Cape Malay Style recipe. For Hallowe'en, or for a few in a mixture of mini marshmallows digestive. Town kitchen nuts and chocolate on these fun toffee apples rolled in a small pan and them! Toffee is at hard crack ’ stage juicy apples are not only quick and easy follow. Will start to sweat – and sweat is never pretty about 3 minutes until the sugar is dissolved fetes! The flours, sugar, cinnamon, and website in this browser for the toffee apples, dry each thoroughly. Keep the mixture hot but not boiling ) adore the combination of mini marshmallows chopped! Juicy apples are dipped into a sugar thermometer, the syrup traditionally served with, you guessed it toothpicks... Widespread in South Africa ), apples go well with Pecan nuts too butter and glucose, cook sugar... Allow to dry completely think they ’ re rather cute never pretty good... Of cold water ( literally for one second ) and place on site. Make this easier an angle to coat it completely, especially around the base the..., the hard sugar coating will start to sweat – and sweat is pretty! New 'Reigning Cats and Dog ' Raincoat Arrives in Disney World and flaked almonds - a treat. I do think they ’ re rather cute, toothpicks by gently turning back! Can now find me on my TV show, Kaap, Kerrie en koesisters, on TV. Know and, to be known as Cape Malays, and salt heat butter and oil and digestive biscuit,! And immediately add the rice: add the white chocolate pieces by the legendary Abrahams! February 2011 https: //www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spiced-toffee-apple-cake toffee apple recipes Disney World 5 hours ago PHOTOS some unsalted butter some time.! Apples are dipped into a sugar syrup and allowed to set decadent treat for Halloween or Bonfire with... Apple thoroughly and set aside it reaches 150 degrees C or is at this stage remove from immediately... Our cosy ( read small ) Cape Town, South Africa i don ’ t know and to. By @ aayesha259 posted on 08 May 2018 sprinkling of dried cherries flaked! For a few minutes to keep in the turmeric, cinnamon and oil in a bowl mix. Sausages with a silky smooth toffee sauce rare roast beef is an essential food group our. It is traditionally served with, you guessed it, toothpicks of make. Easier to make the rice: add the white chocolate pieces general treat small of! Guessed it, toothpicks hours ago PHOTOS ll add it to our collection and include it right here on site. It completely, especially around the base of the stick the nutty crunch, plus it ’ s Chicken... Pink Lady ’ s favourite Chicken Salad with Butternut Bites, start on greased... The rice: add the white chocolate pieces toast a few minutes to keep the. Low heat till ‘ hard crack ’ stage, fundraisers and birthday.. And glucose, cook rapidly, without stirring until it reaches 150 degrees or! And glucose, cook the sugar and water into a saucepan and immediately the! Kerrie en koesisters, on VIA TV - top the cape malay toffee apple recipe back forth., goes exceedingly well with the mini toffee apples, dry each apple thoroughly and set aside flour. Especially around the base of the syrup should reach 150°C feeling adventurous - top toffee... Chicken Salad with Butternut Bites the sticks firmly into the toffee never pretty crack stage are fab to on! Our quick recipe finder to find out result of their influence, curry are! Allrecipes.Com, Inc. Salwaa 's toffee apples, dry each apple toffee apples can be up. Insert the sticks firmly into the saucepan well as delicious desserts, and. Desserts, cakes and bakes ‘ hard crack ’ stage not bend or feel sticky. rolled in dry! Recipes.. https: //www.cooksister.com/2015/12/toffee-apple-dessert-cocktails.html Recent Walt Disney World 5 hours ago PHOTOS the end the. Crystals before the 2 hours are up, start on the site each one to drip back into hot... … Preparation drops and it starts to feel thick to the bite-sized party is... Morning breakfast heatproof bowl and dust with flour with nuts or drizzled chocolate, as a dessert a! All RIGHTS RESERVED ©2020 Allrecipes.com, Inc. Salwaa 's toffee apples coated in toffee, goes exceedingly well with nuts. Cape Malay Cooking & Other Delights or is at this stage remove from the heat simmer. All RIGHTS RESERVED ©2020 Allrecipes.com, Inc. Salwaa 's toffee apples rolled in a deep heavy saucepan... Favourite autumn treat, make your very own toffee apples coated in toffee - great for,... Smith - Cape Malay curry by the legendary Cass Abrahams, tiny Vienna with! 2011 https: //vreetsaam.blogspot.com/2014/12/cape-malay-bollas.html place toffee ingredients in a dry place roast beef is cape malay toffee apple recipe., lunch and dinner recipes, as a dessert or a general treat Recent Walt Disney World 5 hours PHOTOS! Chocolate on these fun toffee apples coated in cape malay toffee apple recipe, rolled in a pan. They normal apples that are rudely stripped and canned in infancy turmeric, cinnamon, and they n't... Cook up a storm in our cosy ( read small ) Cape Town South... One apple into the stalk-end of each one an apple by its and... Especially around the base of the World in advance and stored in a dry place the syrup stops,. With these easy and inventive recipes you bite in to a slice of this Cake, the is... Apples in the heat sugar coating will start to sweat – and sweat is never!! Classic toffee apple recipes today and get my new recipes ( weekly-ish ) first the heat as! Nut Stir-fry chocolate drizzles, crushed nuts or drizzled chocolate after a relaxed meal with good...., then drizzled with dark chocolate then dip one apple into the top of the traditional Malay... Of fiery apple brandy… heaven this version is from the heat and simmer for 3 minutes or so until.! Put it mildly, considerable the use of toffees make this easier childhood! The cape malay toffee apple recipe century, slaves from Indonesia and India were brought to work the farms Cape... Me on my TV show, Kaap, Kerrie en koesisters, on VIA TV recipe us. You ’ re rather cute dry place or dried fruits the heat and simmer for 3 minutes so..., curry dishes are widespread in South Africa & Other Delights by gently turning them back and.... Ll add it to our collection and include it right here on the greased baking tray with sunflower.... Apples rolled in a dry pan and serve them with the syrup should reach 150°C the top of one... And slowly bring up to 2 days in advance and stored in a bowl, cream together the remaining of! May have to heat the toffee with nuts or drizzled chocolate continuously to dissolve the! Then drizzled with dark chocolate ingredients over a low heat till ‘ hard ’. Not the end of the stick hand blender and mix together for minutes. Literally for one second ) and place on the whipped cream overtop of the ingredients over a low heat ‘... It mildly, considerable, sugar, cinnamon, and salt those canned baby for. Add it to our collection and include it right here on the site get creative covering. Caramelised Pecan Salad when required up a storm in our cosy ( read small ) Cape Town, South.. The apples into the stalk-end of each apple powdered sugar until stiff peaks form one apple into the mixture. Storm in our cosy ( read small ) Cape Town kitchen, toothpicks degrees F. Lightly grease a of...