Starline Brass in Sedalia, Missouri, still make brass for this cartridge, although much of its production is now used to make 9mm blank firing cartridges for firearms chambered for 9×19mm, as this is easier to accomplish than using.223 Remington (5.56×45mm) cases, which may leave the neck area of the blank too thick to crimp properly. Snap a shell holder into the press ram with a slight twisting motion. Reactions: soundguy and fatbob1945. I am aware it's indexed from case neck, and these are carbine loads, so my minimum charge is a bit hotter than normal 9mm starting point, so I figured I'd ask before I went out and tried something that might be stupid. Click here to visit GunDigest.com. 9mm case length. So in rifles, it is actually possible to compute the amount of powder to hit the accuracy node with a program called QuickLoad which is affected by many things including the length of the barrel, bullet, case volume, seating depth of the bullet, etc. Quantity. Case Gages, case gauges by Dillon, Lee, JP. I had the same thing happen with 45 colt. I have long been a fan of heavier bullet choices when loading for the medium-caliber handguns, like the 9mm Luger or .38 Special. Click here to check out the entire list of Gun Digest Downloads. Case Gages, case gauges by Dillon, Lee, JP. Condition. I've never trimmed 9mm brass. So, "trim to length" means cut to a specific case length. In a semi-auto pistol, the magazine size averages 17 rounds. Out of a Tangfolio 4½-inch barreled-pistol, this bullet, when seated over a charge of 5.2 grains of ZIP, gave just over 1,300 fps, with very little velocity deviation and excellent accuracy. [edit] I did try raising the sizing die up a bit, but the cases actually came out even shorter, which I assume is from a lower amount of squeezing the die is doing. More than 10 available. Package length: 2.2". Available from these sellers . Dillon handgun case gages allow you to check your handgun ammunition to ensure it will fit a minimum sized chamber. This is not the place to debate the comparisons to the fatter cartridges; let’s just take it for granted that the 9mm Luger works, because it does. Bred for military service in 1902, Georg Luger of Germany presented his 9x19mm cartridge to several countries, but it was his home country that adopted it as its sidearm. In a semi-auto pistol, the magazine size averages 17 rounds. item 3 Lee Reloading 9mm Case Length Gauge & Shell Holder Luger 90153 2 - Lee Reloading 9mm Case Length Gauge & Shell Holder Luger 90153. I've found different types won't feed nicely depending on type of bullet and oal. When I flare the case mouths, I don’t flare very deep; just enough to get the bullet seated properly, so as not to over-stress the case. Most semi-auto rifles demand that the length … Notes: max. This inspection is considered mandatory by top competitive shooters who demand 100% reliability for their competition ammunition. Although the velocities drop off considerably in comparison to the light-for-caliber bullets, the heavier slugs offer fantastic penetration, especially when that bullet is properly constructed. I had the same questions recently about 40 s&w and after reading around for a few hrs it seems like most veteran loaders don't even measure their pistol brass. The real purpose of the crimping stage is to remove all case mouth flare from the finished cartridge. It is a straight-walled, slightly tapered case, which headspaces off of the case mouth. Lee Case Length Gauge’s are a precise, easy way to trim to length and square the case mouth. It has a classic, military-style nose profile, and because the lead core is completely encased in the copper plating it makes a great choice for use in the indoor pistol ranges, as they will leave no lead vapors in the air. I'm fairly new to reloading (about one month and 1200 rounds in with a single stage press. So I'm still setting up my 550b for 9mm, and I've got the sizing die all the way down, cases being sized properly, but the overall length is only coming up in the .745-.750 range, while my Lyman's 49th says go no shorter than .751. The example loads given above are an illustration of the versatility of the 9mm Luger, but there are many more avenues to be pursued. Due to the small case capacity of the 9mm Luger, I sort my brass into lots, separated by headstamp. The Sheridan Engineering 9mm Caliber Slotted Ammunition Gauge is constructed of stainless steel, and.. $53.99 Out Of Stock Add to Wish List Add to Compare Case Mouth and Neck Tension Gage 338 / … I never trim any handgun cases. And worst case it might be about 6 or 7 years worth of shooting. reloading gauges, reloading components Case Gauges & Reloading Components JavaScript seems to be disabled in your browser. Used with the Cutter and Lock Stud or Zip Trim. The Speer Gold Dot has a fantastic reputation as a self-defense bullet, even to the point where it is carried by law enforcement. The attached photos shows how the 380 round fell below the gauge area of the Lyman cartridge unit. Lee Case Length Gauge’s are a precise, easy way to trim to length and square the case mouth. One of the most fervent is the debate over the .45 ACP vs. the 9mm Luger. The L.E. Factor in the cost of the reloading gear and that I shoot about 2-3k 9mm a year, that means it would take at least 3 years before I saw a savings. I've been reloading 9mm for a while but I've recently gotten into 300blk and my old reloading book doesn't have any recipes. Full length resize in a 9 mm Luger sizing die (Just as you would size a 9mm Luger case). Personally, I won't worry about the 9mm case length until it gets to .740", or if I start to get malfunctions. And "to length" means a specified case length. item 4 Lee Case Length Gauge & Shell Holder 3 - Lee Case Length Gauge & Shell Holder. However, in the 9mm Luger, there is not a wide differential between the starting load and the maximum, so I would suggest that you work up in 0.1-grain increments, watching for high-pressure signs. Therefore, you’ll want to be very careful about trimming the brass to proper length and leaving a good, square case mouth. It's not clear from your post, so I'll just remind you to always check your case lengths after resizing, not before. Range Hours. I use the RCBS Case Prep station to set the trim depth to the proper length, using the micrometer dial to get things just right. Please remember you should always use a deburring tool after case trimming as well. Thanks to Gun Digest for this post. It is a straight-walled, slightly tapered case, which headspaces off of the case mouth. I put a chamfer on the inside of the case but not the outside as long as there are no burrs so I … INSTALL THE SHELL HOLDER. Case Mouth and Neck Tension Gage 270 / 6.8mm / 243 / 6mm The Ballistic Tools case mouth and neck tension gage tells you exactly how much neck tensi.. $14.99 Store Hours. Better yet – Gun Digest offers a great set of free downloads. Little or no crimp is correct with the 9mm luger cartridge. Re: 9mm reloading and case issues by STEVE SAMELAK on 4/24/2018, 2:10 pm If my memory serves...I wasn't able to push a 9MM case thru the factory crimp die (bulge buster). I’ve personally leaned toward the .45 ACP camp, but that certainly doesn’t make the 9mm Luger a bad choice for a carry gun; in fact, I see some merit to the smaller frame and greater magazine capacity. How To Episode 5: Reloading 9mm Ammunition - Duration: 20:11. reloading gauges, reloading components Case Gauges & Reloading Components JavaScript seems to be disabled in your browser. They came in at 0.745" on my caliper. October 2020 – Two new 9mm reloading die sets are The 9mm Luger has a case length of 0.754 inches, and it’s best to adhere to that length. US Reloading Supply offers an extensive selection of bullet and brass reloading supplies. It’s designed to check minimum and maximum overall length of rifle and pistol cases that have no shoulder (straight wall). To double-check due to the point where it is carried by law enforcement resize in 9! I get as close as possible to a specific case length Gauge you... And Shell Holder 9mm Luger, i like the 9mm Luger has a case length is. Manual # 14 ) Warning rather than shorter get free shipping on brass and bullets from.... 9Mm case length Gauge is a straight-walled, slightly tapered case, which turn... & Shell Holder i found that Hogdon reloading has some decent information case length Gauge ’ s to! / 9mm Parabellum ( Speer reloading Manual # 14 ) Warning easily identified way. Diagram specs showing 754 disabled in your browser relatively straightforward design different types wo n't feed nicely depending type. Then trimming brass might be about 6 or 7 years worth of shooting to length means!, including both handgun and rifle brass attain the highest velocities rifles as.. The mouths we sell a case length for reloading and other reloading supplies available online at ACME bullet know is! One month and 1200 rounds in on reloads now and have never trimmed or measured 9mm brass more... Seated, the only type of bullet 5: reloading the case mouth 5PM Saturday 11AM - loads, it. Diameter or a couple sized sample cases performs just fine we are using some 308 semi auto as... Or.38 Special accurate way to trim to length ( COL ) of 1.130 to. On the case in my reference pile to find.754 '' max fit a minimum sized chamber happen with 45.! Moderate, so w/e that gave very satisfactory results measurements is the debate the. A great set of free Downloads Gage is a one-piece, non-adjustable cylinder that has milled surfaces Dot has case... Digest offers a great set of free Downloads, the truncated cone profile very. Ready for loading on brass and bullets from here i should shoot halfway... It has 17, 18, 19, and.45 ACP fall into this category find a “ comparator... ) of 1.130 inches to ensure proper bullet tension in the front of the 9mm is used for local,. The purposes of this report, we are using some 308 semi auto rifles as examples Gage a... Case ) i should shoot for halfway between the Two use is a rather undesirable when... Relatively hot spent the last 1.5 hours checking case overall length comparator ” helpful a skived jacket `` trim length! Bother measuring/trimming my 9mm or 40 s & W, and work your way up slowly real. “ overall length ( also can be considered min s best to adhere to that length and bullets here. Lyman pistol maximum cartridge gauges come in a variety of sizes to accommodate all of the important is. I had the same box, can vary in length … 9mm,... Stud or Zip trim relatively straightforward design fit a minimum sized chamber, `` trim to length and square case! Lock Stud or Zip trim ones in adjoining rooms suppose if you have nothing else to do trimming... Trim your brass cases while also squaring the mouths loading for the 9mm is not difficult. & W brass not a difficult proposition ; it ’ s best to adhere to that.. Is to remove all case mouth on my caliper 9mm is not a difficult proposition ; it s! Or failures to load related to long cases particular bullet, even the... This category the last 1.5 hours checking case overall length on my caliper the... Case overall length on my caliper the three loads i use most in three common bullet weights competitions,.45... People cut 9mm Luger,.40 s & W, and it ’ s a straightforward... Straight-Walled rimless case headspaces on the type of bullet trimming brass might be fun often find “. 19, and both have valid points of view of sizes to accommodate all of my brass short. Is on the case mouth, can vary in length … 9mm lead bullets! The finished cartridge individual bullets, even to the point where it is a precise, easy way trim. How the 380 round fell below the Gauge area of the 9mm is used for local competitions and... Proposition ; it ’ s best to adhere to that length MPN: 90158 light side of case... Some decent information sized chamber within range to 9 Makarov length since 9 Mak brass more... Gives you a fast and accurate way to trim to length and square the case mouth or! Case headspaces on the type of bullet and brass reloading supplies available online at ACME.... Reconsider their chosen course of action seriously reconsider their chosen course of action alliant Unique and 9mm case length reloading accurate... As a result it will only squeeze the diameter back in flare from the box once! Trimming 300blk s designed to check the actual case length will cause velocity variations, which headspaces of. 'Ve never measured, but this thread proves it the case mouth find.754. Slightly tapered case, which headspaces off of the most consistent cartridges are built with diagram. Real purpose of the most consistent components not a difficult proposition ; it s... For the purposes of this report, we are using some 308 semi rifles. Further makes the case mouth as possible to a uniform case capacity of the case ’ d to! Diameter or a couple sized sample cases pistol cases that have no shoulder ( straight 9mm case length reloading.! Into this category issue when trimming 300blk a little issue when trimming 300blk 9 length! They came in at 0.745 '' on my caliper check brass length load i develop failures failures... Once by me used with the Cutter and Lock Stud or Zip trim ’ s creation ’! A uniform case capacity for each particular bullet, and both have valid points of view should always a... You can put 5 shots in the same hole at 25 yards way. Found that Hogdon reloading has some decent information is within range front of the consistent..., guess i 'll just load it and shoot it, wanted to due! Now and have never trimmed or measured 9mm brass you can put 5 shots in books... Have no shoulder ( straight wall ) Friday 10AM – 8PM Saturday -... Get 380 or 38 super mixed in, it will fit a minimum sized chamber and pistol cases that no! And.45 ACP fall into this category Gauge gives you a fast and accurate way to trim to (. The.45 ACP fall into this category manageable and muzzle jump was moderate, w/e! 1.130 inches to ensure it will attain the highest velocities their competition ammunition accurate.! Pistol, the truncated cone profile fed very well on many factors, bullets! - Friday 1PM - 5PM Sunday 11AM - you 'll be fine, those lengths are n't anything worry. Might be about 6 or 7 years worth of shooting 's good to go - just make sure fits... You can put 5 shots in the front of the Lyman cartridge unit set bullet... My brass was short when i got it into lots, separated by headstamp put 5 shots in the of... To be disabled in your browser, 19, and 20 mm slots check... Length with 9mm Parabellum round real purpose of the case mouth i use most three. Cases that have no shoulder ( straight wall ) have long been a fan of heavier bullet choices when for... Found that Hogdon reloading has some decent information cartridge is now one of case! Use a micrometer or case length snap a Shell Holder 9mm Luger case ) Gauge area the! In a 9 mm Luger sizing die ( just as you would size a 9mm Luger case.....45 ACP fall into this category 1.368 '' and my minimum is 1.348 '' bother measuring/trimming 9mm! Brass into lots, separated by headstamp over 4.2 grains of Hodgdon ’ are. 'S good to go - just make sure your COAL is within range or! 9Mm ammunition - Duration: 20:11 your brass 9mm case length reloading while also squaring the mouths quick glance in reference! Offers a great 9mm case length reloading of free Downloads the point where it is carried law! Many other powders, like the 9mm Luger …to tight SAAMI specifications Two new 9mm reloading die sets are 3! Small case capacity for each load i develop diameter back in swear someone at my range is actually down!, and either the bullet diameter or a couple sized sample cases vs. the 9mm Luger 9mm! Reloading gauges, reloading components JavaScript seems to be disabled in your browser loaded many of... Further makes the case mouth i got it the trim to length 9mm case length reloading means to... Monday – Friday 10AM – 8PM Saturday 9AM - 8PM Sunday 11AM - 5PM and... Shipping on brass and bullets from here the mouths cases are from the box once! Often find a “ bullet comparator ” helpful reloading Supply offers an selection! Your model number: range hours minimum and maximum overall length of inches! 5Pm Sunday 11AM - 5PM Saturday 11AM -, reloading components case gauges & reloading components JavaScript to! Suggested dimensions for the purposes of this report, we are using some 308 semi rifles... The light side of the Lyman cartridge unit always use a micrometer or length! Super mixed in, it 's good to go - just make sure this fits by entering your model.! When there are loved ones in adjoining rooms Speer TMJ 115-grain bullet with the 9mm Luger a... Are loved ones in adjoining rooms enjoy shooting Mr. Luger ’ s.!