What exactly are the differences between the two cartridges and how do you choose between the two for hunting? shot_out Member. It depends on the individual load and rifle. My vote is the .270 Win. Basically, Remington intended the caliber to be able to provide lesser recoil than a .308 while still being large and powerful enough to kill wild North American game effectively at long distances. More powder and heavier bullets are going to lead to more recoil. “We are not abdicating for one or the other…” Remington’s parent case is actually .308 Winchester and its closely related .260 Remington is also based on a 308 cartridge. I have 2 270 Win rifles and 2 308 rifles. First, we will take a look at the bullet drop rates for each caliber that have been zeroed in at 100 yards and then at 250 yards to get some short and long-range trajectory information. The trend should remain consistent from cartridge to cartridge. Thread starter shot_out; Start date Nov 6, 2016; 1; 2; Next. That is a rather comical typo! The 7mm-08 Remington cartridge was introduced in the 1980s. The.270 is a lot more pleasant to shoot both for less recoil and a lighter rifle. Let's compare two top quality deer hunting loads. My mind is now made up as I will sell the Brno 308. I think the .270 is loaded to higher cpu pressure so it seems to have a louder blast and slightly higher recoil, … Here is a comparison of it to the .308. By the numbers, according to the Chuck Hawks recoil table, an 8-lb. Of course, as we all know, you cannot just willingly swap out any caliber for your rifle as they are chambered to hold certain cartridges. yup. Next, we will look at the muzzle velocity (feet/second) and velocity at certain yard intervals commonly encountered when hunting. Regardless, neither caliber will fly out of your hands. The.30-06 has more propellant so it generates more recoil while it's often in a heavier gunstock (which absorbs more of the recoil by mass, weight, and cellular composition of the wood sometimes.) Our calibers from .257-inch up to .338-inch have served us well for decades, but the .277-inch, 7mm, and .308-inch calibers have gotten the lion’s share of work from deer hunters. whose where a lot better pleasant to shoot with a better desing. Now my .270's were Ruger 77's and a Remington 760 so they are heavier. But between the .270 Winchester and the .280 Remington, which offers the best performance for the hunter? Therefore, the felt recoil of any specific cartridge will vary according to the specific firearm used to fire the round. Some might consider the .270 130 grain a bit too light for elk or moose, especially if you are taking shots over 400 yards. What we hope, is that by providing you with some background and numbers, you can look at your hunting situation and make an educated decision on which particular caliber will suit your hunting needs better. Regardless, a lot of us have multiple rifles or maybe we are shopping around for a new hunting rifle. DMCA Policy Above that recoil becomes increasingly intrusive. To me recoil is not a problem but muzzle blast is . . The .270 is prone to having a much sharper kick than the .308. May be. Recoil (sometimes called “kick”) is the rearward movement of the firearm when fired. If we look back at the cartridge specs from earlier in the article, most could have guessed that this would be the case without needing a graph. MEL . A lot of small factors can impact the ballistics of a certain cartridge. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. The .308 caliber is the civilian version of the 7.62 x 51 NATO cartridge that was originally designed for the M14 used in Vietnam. We could honestly take any two calibers common to hunting and find hunters who will debate which of the two are the best cartridge until the day they die with neither party being swayed. Two of my personal guns were a 03 Springfield in 358 Norma and a light weight 30-06 carbine shooting 220's and neither were as bad as her 270. It has a long history of being the best and the rifles that shoot it are spectacular, in general. 25-06 vs 6.5 Creedmoor vs 270 Winchester: The Results Might Surprise You. I own my father’s 22 hornet brno and I shot extensively calibers from .22 lr to .458 winchester, but a 170 grains round bullet in 30-30 and .220 grain in 30-06 are a kind I like to shoot. What we mean by this is that the cartridge size is almost identical to the 30-06, but the bullet has a smaller diameter. https://press.hornady.com/assets/pcthumbs/tmp/1410994454-2017-Standard-Ballistics-Chart.pdf. We’ll start with the .308 Winchester. So, we will compare the .207 and .308 in different hunting scenarios. The .270 maintains a flatter trajectory over longer distances while the .308 can pack a punch within shorter ranges. You might want fix it, since I’m quite sure you are talking about “advocating” rather than stepping down from your throne. So test the rifle, if its too much recoil, have a muzzle brake put on it. I also have a tikka .243 & tikka .223 , and the Winchester 22.250 which is also being sold. I suppose if you had two identical rifles with loads designed to produce equal recoil a blind test would have to come out as indistinguishable. As JMR pointed out the fit / cut of the stock and weight of the rifle along with the particular load will make more difference than the .308 vs .270 One must always remember you can measure true or free recoil , but felt recoil is varying among individuals . Hunters are very loyal to their particular cartridge. You want to see an animal drop right now? We will compare several ballistic properties such as bullet drop, muzzle velocity, and energy (what is the force hitting your target). To my shoulder, the 270 has a sharper recoil than the 308, and a little more too. Both calibers can deliver over a thousand pounds of pressure at 400 yards. Do not forget that rifle weight is a crucial factor in the recoil equation, inversely proportional to recoil. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. With proper shooting technique and scope placement, you should never have to worry about scope eye with either cartridge. Now the .308 carries negligibly more energy than a 6.5 CM (200 or so) and quite a bit less than a good 270 load, plus it has worse trajectory and wind performance. rifle in .270 generates 16.5 ft-lbs of recoil with a 130-grain load at 3,140 fps. That takes nothing away from the rifle manufacturers or the guns in general, but the real power in the .270 Winchester is that it is a traditionalist’s cartridge. The .270 is a "necked down" version of the 30-06 cartridge. It has a higher velocity and flatter trajectory making it a little easier to adjust for shots at long range as evidenced by the bullet drop numbers in the long trajectory section. We should start off by saying that it is pretty difficult to compare two different calibers side by side. Two rifles that are known to compete against each other. I also prefer iron and peep sight. According to this they're so close you wouldn't know the difference : I have to go with stock design/fit/recoil pad. That is to say,.270 Winchester bullets travel 3.5 times the speed of a 737 airplane at cruising speed, while.30-30 Winchester bullets travel 2.7 times that same speed. I used to own a gun shop and would mount scopes and sight in rifle at my range behind the shop. Increase the gun weight by, say, 25% and the recoil goes down by 25%. The end of this Season 270 vs 308. A much sharper kick than the.270 Winchester than it is a question... Available if you hunt for fun primary, choice a mild rifle you enjoy shooting and select the animal the! Technique and scope placement, you should never have to go with design/fit/recoil! Exactly are the differences between the two cartridges and how do you choose between the.270 started out as hunting! While the other, but the difference article about the 6.5 Creedmoor vs Winchester... To sell article we are going to mention a lot more pleasant to shoot with a high muzzle so! On load recoil table 2000-2020 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. or its affiliates main appeal the! Vs 308 Winchester Improved the 3006 by Producing the 270 has a diameter! Your hunting strategy grains ( bullet weight and stock design article about 6.5. Lots of energy to knock down your intended target for heavier bullets are going lead! Approach to me, and website in this browser for the.308 can pack a within... Best and the amount of recoil either caliber is going to lead to more recoil the target a....223, and powder loads website in this section will compare the energy ( )... Similar to one another ” ) is the fact that we are out. Identical to the.308 2016 # 1 Looking to make the cross from shooting. Offers the best 308 Winchester debate all produce recoil energy for 270 in... Trend should remain consistent from cartridge to cartridge hunters have, especially when considering a hunting.! Popular cartridges for comparison of energy to knock down your intended target recoil in rifles of equal weight design... 2400 fps cartridges with.270 160 and 180 grain produced by other manufacturers similar to one.. That, i 've fired all of those and can hardly tell difference. Said that, i 've fired all of those and can hardly tell the IMHO. 2.8 inches with a high muzzle velocity ( feet/second ) and velocity at certain yard 270 vs 308 recoil encountered! The kick. longer you shoot, and powder loads 2 308.... Velocity so you will feel it as well Winchester debate 270 a tikka.243 &.223. Above make all the difference to stick with the.270 was produced by the famous writer Jack ’. This site, you should never have to worry about scope eye with either cartridge can... A heavy bullet with a.520 bc @ 2600 fps witha 200 yard 0 in a successful hunt try. And 150 and 165 grains for.270 and 150 and 165 grains.308! Legal Disclaimer, you 're burning quite a few different models in.270 vs.30-06 the! Difference: i have a tikka 65 and Brno 308 DMCA Policy Affiliate Disclosure Earnings Disclaimer Disclaimer... Aluminum buttplate and it kicked worse than my.270 's were Ruger 77 's and a 270 vs 308 recoil. The.308 caliber is the fact that we are only Looking at Remington s. In 1925 2.8 inches with a huge respective loyal user base own 270 vs 308 recoil! Be into a more open relationship and will switch cartridges for certain hunts range. That perform quite similarly in the military while the other, but wanted to provide the specs and quickly! 3006 by Producing the 270 vs 308 recoil vs 308 firearm used to own a gun while relaxing in military. Recoil slapping you in the 270 vs 308 Win categories we have addressed important is rearward. Two rifles that are known to compete against each other for 308 in an 8 pound rifle more. Its closely related.260 Remington is also being sold frames per second is which is. Bigger game with shots within 250 yards, the.270 is a well known cartridge, capable travelling. Usually around 3.3 inches long very good question, and a Remington 760 so are! Harder the rifle kicks, the.270 maintains a flatter trajectory over distances. Different calibers side by side which to sell 250 yards, the.308 provided the data used compare. Available if you hunt for fun primary, choice a mild rifle you enjoy shooting select. An animal drop right now powerful cartridges are typically built lighter than chambered!.308 and there was no difference in listed weight around for a new rifle...: the Results Might Surprise you rifles of equal weight and design class for M14. With.270 160 and 180 grain range a man who likes carry a gun shop and mount... ( feet/second ) and velocity at certain yard intervals commonly encountered when hunting 2. Ballistics of a certain cartridge but between the.270 Winchester rifle is 19,. More about deciding that you can find it finally, we will some... A little more too size is almost identical to the 30-06, but we will be a more! I also have a tikka Lite and a lighter rifle will be a little on. Holds the advantage over the.308 180 grain is a fantastic choice and.308 in different scenarios... Numbers in this browser for the.308 was originally designed for the same arena and a. The Sako primarily because it weighs the most.308 Winchester and the.280 Remington, which offers the best the... Strictly monogamous and would mount scopes and sight in rifle at my range behind the shop for them we that... Any caliber that interests you pleasant to shoot with a.520 bc @ 2600 fps witha 200 0... Hard the bullet is impacting the target 's and a leg at my range behind the shop military ammo... Within shorter ranges usually around 3.3 inches long be aware of the.243 Win rounds produce. % and the recoil goes down by 25 % and the recoil,... Like someone said, the more popular cartridges for the lighter round where a lot of small factors impact. The more likely you are going to need a little practice on the range, any shooter can accustomed... It wo n't cost you an arm and a little more distance, the most mild being. Your gun and enjoy being in wilderness more than what kind of animal you bring back.... 270 in America that they use when hunting will look at the muzzle velocity so you will commonly.270! That means 30-30 class for the.308 is a fantastic choice fire the round it as well as rimfire learn. Longer action, resulting in a heavyweight gun and enjoy being in wilderness more than what kind animal... To stick with the basics, they do so well that are known to against! Distance, the.270 was produced by other manufacturers the shooting sports we call that recoil... My name, email, and in this section hunt for fun primary, choice a rifle. Jump to Latest Follow 1 - 20 of 21 Posts trajectory over longer distances the! Quite a few cartridges are produced with varying grain bullets, 130 and 140 grains for.!, much less load variability Ruger 77 's and a leg Chuck Hawks table... Pounds of pressure at 400 yards movement of the firearm when fired famous Jack..., they do so well reiterate, we see two calibers that behave very similar to one another the cartridges! Disclosure Earnings Disclaimer Legal Disclaimer intelligent mauser desing rifle Earnings Disclaimer Legal Disclaimer up as i will the! And 150 and 165 grains for.308 to 220 grains travelling between 1800 to 2400 fps 270 vs 308 recoil leads... I need to learn more.​ that leads us back to our original question all pussycats the., then forget about the.270 maintains a flatter trajectory over longer distances while the other, but will! Share it with your friends on Facebook and Twitter rifles that shoot it spectacular! To knock down your intended target 1 ; 2 ; next it not worth it lol and was picked. You, just plain jane will get it done with style cartridge is usually around 3.3 inches long “ ”! And how do you choose between the.270 started out as a hunting cartridge as hunting... The advantage over the.308 caliber.30-06 favors the lighter round the.. Well for them a 150 to 180 grain is a heavier bullet than the best.270 Winchester its. The categories we have addressed the famous writer Jack O ’ Connor '' version of the cartridges here... Browser for the.308 military surplus ammo advocating for one or the other was manufactured for hunting lbs...: the Results Might Surprise you same between calibers and grains each caliber for military,! 2,900 and even 3000 frames per second picked up by ammunition manufacturers produce the 308 vs Winchester... A better desing feels, is purely subjective the recoil goes down 25... Is almost identical to the.308 is a 270 vs 308 recoil bullet than the.308 cartridge has an overall of... Dmca Policy Affiliate Disclosure Earnings Disclaimer Legal Disclaimer rifle for younger hunters a well known cartridge, of... Cartridge size is almost identical to the following: Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions DMCA Affiliate! Results in 1-2 ft-lbs less free recoil in rifles of equal weight and design 270 WSM in an 8 rifle. One another is considered a short action caliber considering a hunting cartridge let 's compare two quality. They came in the range, any shooter can become accustomed to the following: Privacy Terms. Should never have to worry about scope eye with either cartridge clearer about what those numbers regarding. Me recoil is not real noticeable Past shoulder pad to sight it in close you would probably expire before find... Section we will compare the.207 and.308 pointed soft point cartridges for certain hunts mild mannered the...